Egypt s Minister of Sports and Youth Ashraf Sobhi has confirmed that all sports competitions in Egypt will be completed according to cabinet decision, including the domestic handball league.
Sports activities have been suspended since mid-March due to the coronavirus pandemic, but the government has decided to allow teams to resume training starting 20 June.
The reopening is part of a wider relaxation of restrictions that will see restaurants, sporting clubs and mosques open their doors starting Saturday, alongside scrapping the country s nighttime curfew.
"We will do like all the world countries did, including [easing] precautionary measures," the Egyptian sports minister added.
Cairo s popular club Zamalek said Wednesday they will not play when the Egyptian Premier League resumes in late July, citing concerns over the spread of the coronavirus.
The Egyptian Handball Association announced last week cancelling the league due to the coronavirus pandemic, as well as starting a new season in August.
"The decision of of Handball Association to cancel the current season was suspended, as International Handball Federation boss Hassan Mostafa told us that canceling the league could affect organising for the World Cup," Sobhi said.
Egypt is scheduled to host the 2021 World Men s Handball Championship from 14 to 31 January 2021. The tournament will be the first handball championship, with 32 teams instead of 24.