Egypt’s Coptic Orthodox Church will resume masses on Friday starting next month after a six-month hiatus on the back of the coronavirus-related restrictions.
The Coptic Orthodox Church cancelled most public church services in March in the wake of the pandemic, partially resuming some services from 3 August as case numbers went down.
Masses were resumed in August on every day except Fridays.
In an official statement on Sunday, the church said weekly Friday masses will resume starting from 11 September, with reduced numbers of congregants and other precautionary measures.
Church-affiliated nurseries will also be allowed to reopen at 50 percent capacity, the statement added.
Some other church activities continue to be suspended, according to the statement.
Egypt has been recording daily infections tallies of less than a thousand new cases consistently since 9 July. The daily toll dropped below the 200-case threshold from 2 -21 August.
The lowest daily tally of infections in four months was recorded on Saturday, with only 89 new cases.
Mosques were allowed to reopen for daily prayers at the end of June, having closed in March, although Friday prayer services were not permitted.
However, the cabinet said last week that Friday prayers in mosques would be resumed from 28 August.
Mosque community centres and condolence and wedding halls remain shut.