CAIRO: Whether to participate in the Mohamed Mahmoud anniversary this year is a decision that varies from one party to another, as the event itself is raising a great deal of controversy.
Varied participation in Mohamed Mahmoud anniversary, as controversy reigns
Saturday ,16 November 2013
The Muslim Brotherhood said in a press conference that they will not participate in commemorating the Mohamed Mahmoud anniversary in Tahrir Square or Mohamed Mahmoud Street, but they will hold events around Egypt for the anniversary.
Salafist Al-Watan Party representative Imam Yusuf said during the press conference that members of the party will also commemorate the anniversary in places other than Mohamed Mahmoud Street.
Member of the political bureau of the Tamarod movement, Hassan Shahin, said in a statement to Youm7 that activists participating in the commemoration of Mohamed Mahmoud should not respond to any provocations by the Brotherhood, and that security forces must firmly respond to anyone who threatens citizen security.
Shahin said Tamarod has not yet decided whether it will participate.
On the other hand, the Youth Revolutionary Block demanded that the government offer retribution to “martyrs” of Mohamed Mahmoud by prosecuting those responsible.
The group said during a press conference Saturday that they are also demanding the construction of a memorial to salute “martyrs” with their names on streets.
Member of the Progressive Youth Federation Haitham Abd al-Fatah said they would commemorate the Mohamed Mahmoud anniversary outside the house of 16-year-old activist “Gika,” Gaber Salah – killed during last year’s anniversary when clashes broke out with riot police.
Abd al-Fatah also told Youm7 Saturday that the Brotherhood never took part in Mohamed Mahmoud in 2001, and instead called them “thugs” and betrayed them.